Translate

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Oral Care From Life Experience

When I was a teenager, my Dad came home one day with great news! He had purchased the world's number one mouthwash, manufactured abroad (the brand was not available in Bangladesh at the time). I was incredibly excited because I loved exploring both national and international oral hygiene products! Seeing the bottle of mouthwash, my eyes popped just like Tom's when the baby duck was on the frying pan in front of him...
 
However, my mom's expression was completely different. She refused to use it. Mom has always been interested in traditional herbal practices and, MashaAllah, she still has beautiful, healthy teeth.
 
Within a few days, a decades-old filling in my dad's tooth was destroyed. A few days after that, my teeth started losing their shine, and a tiny childhood cavity in one of my teeth turned into a big one. It was then that my dad and I realized what this "world’s number one" mouthwash had brought into our lives. We stopped using it immediately and said goodbye to all kinds of mouthwash forever.
Though we said goodbye to mouthwash, I remained loyal to dentist-recommended toothpaste. On the other hand, Mom is just an occasional toothpaste user—only when traveling or when her traditional remedies aren't close at hand. As the days went by, I realized that something was still missing from my oral care, as I couldn't get the glow back to my teeth.
After many years, I made a final decision: no more listening to dentists, just listening to my mom. Since then, Miswak has become my daily routine, and homemade charcoal powder is my backup when my preferred type of Miswak isn't available. However, homemade charcoal powder is now harder to come by since we have to collect it from our village, and villages aren't quite the same anymore. While charcoal powder is readily available at local grocery shops, those commercial versions are harsh and not nearly as good as the homemade kind.
I have used Miswak from many different brands, but Sewak Al Hunain is the best so far. My experience has shown me that not all Miswaks work the same way; the quality differs greatly. The ones I purchased from local markets are not as soft as this one. It is lightweight, and without much pressure, it quickly brings a shine to my teeth, MashaAllah.
Now, I am looking for a reliable source so that I can buy a new bundle once my current collection runs out. Yet, I haven't found any local online shops that sell it. On Amazon, I found Rawaha Natural Miswak. Just like Sewak Al Hunain, this Miswak stick is harvested from the Peelu tree and is vacuum-sealed. The problem is, this $9.49 product costs $397.85 to ship to Bangladesh, including Amazon Global Shipping and import fees! Needless to say, it is not my cup of tea. But I hope my readers will be lucky enough to purchase it at an affordable price, as most of you are not from Bangladesh.

Photo: Copyright ©2026 , Rumana Reza
  
Nowadays, there are so many articles and social media posts about Miswak circulating on the net. I am neither interested in finding its scientific explanation nor do I want to explain its scientific value. Our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) used it, and that is enough for me to love it and hold onto this oral hygiene practice for the rest of my life, Insha'Allah.
 
  Copyright©️Rumana Reza,2026

No comments:

Post a Comment